Friday, March 19, 2010

Sugar Cookies



















SO...this is actualy my first time making sugar cookies, HA. I know I can't really believe it either, how do you go 22 years without making a single sugar cookay? Probably because I've had awesome friends and rommates who have made them for me :) Well I got a major craving last night after browsing the web (aka foodgawker) and decided to make a batch, or 2, or 3. I had to make up for lost time right? I ended up with a kitchen counter full of warm, soft, and chewy cookies, blue fingers, and a stained white T-shirt (it was worth it). This recipe was DElish. I recommend it to anyone wanting the ideal sugar cookie, maybe not the BEST recipe for cutouts, these didnt seem to hold their shape that well. But, GREAT for roll out and drop style, which is basicaly my much more cool way of describing the technique: rolling the dough, shaping into any size ball..and dropping it onto the cookie sheet, simple. I would flatten the dough with the back of a kitchen knife or even ur palm so they cook all the way through. Hope you enjoy as much as I did!


Rolled Sugar Cookies
from AllRecipes (recipe here)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Directions
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.














Frosting

Ingredients
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup shortening
5 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
food coloring

Directions
In a large bowl, cream together the confectioners' sugar and shortening until smooth. Gradually mix in the milk and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth and stiff, about 5 minutes. Color with food coloring if desired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These cookies look A-mazing. Can't wait to make some myself