Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Palmiers



I love the French. Strictly for inventing this cookie. I'll admit, I'm finding it a bit difficult to share with you how good these pastries are after I just confessed my undying love in the previous post about Florentines. How do I boast about how delicious these cookies are after I basically favored another just prior? Well, I'm going to have to find a way because these pretties are just as delightful. Surpisingly that Italian Cantinetta I mentioned earlier also made these, everyday. Yes, I know I said and quote, "Out of all the things I got to nibble on each day, these (florentines) were my favorite." Don't let that discourage you from the deliciousness that these palmiers really are. Think of it this way. It's kinda like a new mother, she has just had twins, ask her which one she loves the most and what's her answer? Precisely. Florentines and Palmiers are like my twins, who I love both unconditionally. Being with just one of these babies at a time makes you realize just how much pure joy and sincere love you have for that single cookie, and how much devotion you can give to that little ball of bliss. Then, realizing when you spend time with the other, you have that same unconditional love and you just could never choose a favorite. That's kinda what this love triangle between me, Palmiers, & Florentines looks like. Got it? On the same page? Ok, on with the recipe then.

You really can't go wrong in the kitchen with these. Theres 2 ingredients, yes I said 2. It's the small uncomplicated things in life that really make you happy, or hungry. You can add cinnamon to these if you'd like, it gives it sort of a "baked apple pie" flavor. I guess when you combine butter, with dough and cinnamon, you get apple pie, I don't know how it works out just see for yourself. :) I prefer it without the cinnamon but get creative, you can add basically whatever spice you'd like, even make them savory! I think the next batch I make will be with Cardamom. Use a store bought dough, especially if your short on time, or not too keen on the rise, punch, fall, roll routine. I do think these would be even more phenom with a homemade dough. I will have to try to make one next time and let you know how it goes. Take note that these are tagged as cookies, pastries, & breakfast. Don't second guess that last one. Make a batch of these the night before and bring them in to work with you. Your co-workers will love you and there really GREAT paired with your little blended frappachini thingy thats giving you all that caffeine every morning. Didn't your momma tell you not to drink coffee on an empty stomach? Okay then, its settled.



Palmiers
i found this recipe here

1 sheet store bough puff pastry or 1 completed recipe puff pastry (I recommend the recipe in the book Baking with Julia, written byDorie Greenspan)
1 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread out 1/2 cup of sugar onto a large silicone baking sheet. Place the puff pastry on the sugar and dust 1/2 cup more sugar on top. roll it out into a rectangle 24"X12". (your wanting to press the sugar into the dough with the rolling pin). Turn the pastry so that it is facing you horizontally. Fold the bottom edge of the dough up so that it lies in the middle and the top edge of the dough down so that it lies in the middle. The two edges should now touch each other in the middle. Next, fold the left side in halfway so that it lies in the middle. Fold the right side in halfway so that it lies in the middle. Both sides should now meet in the center. Next, take what remains and fold it in half so that the left side meets the right side, like you're closing a book. Chill for 20 minutes.



 Slice along the short end into about 1/2 inch slices and place flat on cookie sheets lined with silicone baking mats. Fan out slighly at the top and pinch at the bottom to create a heart shape. 



Remember to allow room on your baking sheets because each cookie will triple in size. Because the dough needs to stay cold before it is baked, you may want to only work with a few slices at a time. Bake for about 8 minutes and flip. If there is not enough carmelization on the back, bake for a few minutes longer. Cool on baking rack.



2 comments:

beautifulurself said...

i ABSOLUTELY love these cookies!!! theyre soo scrumptious! Cute added detail on your photos too, really spices things up :] hehe

Anonymous said...

Palmiers are like the easiest think to make in the world.hahaha. just make sure you dont feed them to your passenger before an 11 hour road trip or else you may need to roll down the windows a couple hundred times hahaha