Sunday, April 25, 2010

Homemade Donuts



Where do I begin to share with you my love for doughnuts? Let's start with the fact that at least once a week I beg my boyfriend to drive me to Krispy Kreme in the middle of the night (he usually gives in). Or how about when I drove around 3 hours one Saturday from town to town looking for "Ma & Pa" donut stores (I ended up finding 1, so disappointing). Or even that EVERYTIME I make a trip home I buy a dozen apple fritters from my absolute FAVE doughnut shoppe and eat them within a few days (oh, not all 12 by myself : P )  Am I donut obsessed? Or just donut deprived here in Utah? Either way everything added together = one gi-normic donut lover. I researched how to make homemade donuts for quite some time but shied away from the process due to intimidation (and not wanting to have such a terrible experience that I'd, *don't say it*, end up not liking donuts anymore-gasp!). I gave in after I couldn't control my craving one friday evening for that fluffly, chewy, homemade Ma&Pa donut (don't get me wrong I love me a Krispy Kreme, *see note above* but I wanted the real deal). I came across Ree's recipe for her homemade donuts on her amazing blog. She had a step-by-step picture tutorial that gave me enough confidence to jump into the recipe. I honestly was surprised at how easy these beauties actually are to make! A long, and at first daunting task, turned into a great experience, and DOUGHNUTS were the outcome! yah! So without further ado, all you crazy donut lovers like myself, here is my first try at homemade donuts.



Homemade Donuts
  • Doughnuts
  • 1-⅛ cup Whole Milk, Warm
  • ¼ cups Sugar
  • 2-¼ teaspoons (one Package) Instant Or Active Dry Yeast
  • 2 whole Large Eggs, Beaten
  • 1-¼ stick Unsalted Butter, melted
  • 4 cups All-purpose Flour
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • Canola Oil
  • GLAZE
  • 3 cups Powdered Sugar
  • ½ teaspoons Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Vanilla
  • ½ cups Cold Water Or Milk
Preparation Instructions
To Make the Dough
1. Make sure milk is nice and warm, but not overly hot.
2. Add sugar to milk. Stir to dissolve.
3. Add yeast into a small bowl.
4. Pour milk/sugar mixture over yeast. Stir gently, then let sit for 10 minutes.
5. Melt butter in separate bowl until butter is almost melted. Stir to finish melting so butter won’t be overly hot.
6. Add beaten eggs to melted butter, stirring constantly to make sure the butter’s not too hot for the eggs.
7. Add the egg/butter mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook.
8. With the mixer on 3 or medium-low speed, pour in the yeast mixture.
9. Allow the dough hook to stir this mixture for a couple of minutes, making sure it’s thoroughly combined.
10. With the mixer still going, add helpings of the flour mixture in 1/4 to 1/2 cup increments until all the flour is gone.
11. Stop the mixer, scrape the bowl, then turn the mixer on the same speed for five whole minutes.
12. After five minutes, stop the mixer and scrape the bottom of the bowl.
13. Turn on the mixer for 30 seconds.
14. Turn off the mixer and allow the dough to sit in the bowl undisturbed for 10 minutes.
15. After 10 minutes, transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Toss the dough to coat, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place straight in the fridge.
16. Refrigerate dough for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
To Make the Doughnuts


1. Remove bowl from fridge and turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface.
2. Roll out to 1/4 to 1/3-inch thickness.
3. Using a 3-inch cutter, cut as many rounds as you can, then roll out remaining dough and cut as much as you can, etc.
4. Cut holes out of each round using a 1 1/2-inch cutter. If you don't have one of these, be creative. A used a circular cookie cutter for the donut and both a square and heart shaped fondant cutter for the "holes"!
5. Place both doughnuts and holes on a floured baking sheet.
6. Cover with large tea towel and place in a warm place in your kitchen; I actually turned on my fireplace and set the pans on stools all around, worked great.
7. Allow doughnuts to rise undisturbed for at least 1 hour; 1 hour 15 minutes if necessary. Doughuts should be visibly puffier and appear to be airy.
To Fry the Dougnuts


1. Heat plenty of canola oil in a large pot until the temperature reaches 375 to 380 degrees—do not let it get hotter than 380 degrees! 375 is ideal; keep the thermometer in the pan to continually monitor.
2. One to two at a time, gently grab doughnuts and ease them into the hot oil. Allow them to cook 1 minute on each side; they will brown very quickly.
3. Remove doughnuts from the oil with a slotted spoon, allowing all oil to drip off.
4. Place doughnut immediately on several layers of paper towels. Count to five, then flip it over onto a clean part of the paper towels. Count to five, then flip it over again; the purpose, obviously, is to drain as much grease as possible before it soaks into the doughnut.
5. Repeat with remaining doughnuts and holes. The holes will cook more quickly than the doughnuts; about 30 seconds per side.
6. Allow doughnuts to slightly cool.
To Glaze



I actually made 4 total "frostings" for these bad boys. The glaze did, in the end, wind up being my favorite. 
1. Mix all glaze ingredients in a bowl unil completely smooth.
2. One by one, dip doughnuts into the glaze until halfway submerged. (Note: completely submerge doughnut holes, then remove with slotted spoon.)
4. Remove from glaze, then turn right side up on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet (to catch dripping glaze.)
5. After the glaze has somewhat set, double dip the donuts, completely optional (but who wouldn't want a double dose of glaze?) 
6. Serve warm if possible, or room temperature.


You can find the chocolate glaze recipe here.


The cinnamon & Sugar ones are simply a mixture of 1cup sugar and 2 tsp, cinnamon.


The maple glaze I used is the same as the one from my homemade cinnamon rolls, with an extra tbsp. of maple syrup and tsp. of maple extract.



Happy Doughnutting!





No comments: