Saturday, April 24, 2010

Cupcakes for a Fireman's Birthday!



Ooh boy this was a fun one! I had a request from a friend for birthday cupcakes for her husband! I always get so excited when they tell me to "be creative." Basically she wanted something super delicious, and matching her theme of red, black, & white. Her husband is a fireman so I figured I'd try and tie something in along those lines. I had SO much fun making these! I love walking through the over packed isles of Michael's and searching for inspiration and cute ideas. I've yet to leave that store empty handed. I found these cute little styrofoam fireman cut out's - adorable! They looked a little elementary but it was for a guy, you know how they are; really could care less. Since she left it up to me on flavor of the cupcake I wanted it to be something simple but undeniably delicious. I chose to do a classic yellow buttermilk cake with the BEST chocolate buttercream. The end result: whimsical red, white, and black cuppies that tasted GREAT!






Martha Stewart's Buttermilk Cupcakes
From Martha Stewart's Cupcakes


egg yolks 6
Milk 1 cup
Vanilla Essence 2 tsp
Flour 3 cups
Caster sugar 1 1/2 cups [original recipe used granulated but i could feel granules of sugar on top so next time I use caster]
Baking Powder 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Salt 3/4 tsp
Butter 12 tbsp

Method
1. This method is also called one bowl method as opposed to cream method which calls for creaming butter and sugar first.
2. Lightly beat egg yolks, 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat all dry ingredients on low speed.
4. Add in butter and remaining milk and mix until all combined on a low speed for about 2 minutes.
5. Add in egg yolks mixture in three steps beating for 30 seconds after each addition.
6. Scoop into muffin tray about 1/2 full.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at gas mark 4 for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
8. Cool completely before frosting.



Chocolate Buttercream
original recipe here


Shortening 1/2 cup
Butter 1/2 cup
Icing sugar 4 cups
Cocoa Powder 3/4 cup
Vanilla 1 tsp
Milk 3-4 tbsp

Method
1. Cream shortening and butter.
2. Add in vanilla and cocoa powder.
3. Add icing sugar, one cup at a time.
4. Continue beating, adding 1 tbsp milk.
5. Beat until mixture is light and creamy.
6. Pipe swirls with 1M tip on cooled cupcakes.








1 comment:

Alyssa said...

They look yummy! you should go to Zerchers in Orem they have some really cute stuff to decorate cakes and cup cakes with! :)